This week’s Sunday Scribblings prompt is “Rooted”.
The main thing that comes to my mind is thought of trees, and living on the West Coast, I have the privilege of viewing the magnificent Redwood Trees. These trees are massive, impressive, mighty, awe-inspiring, just flat out amazing!!! They grow for hundreds and thousands of years, and are stead-fast, and well-rooted. An interesting fact I learned from reading about them is that even if they fall over, they still strive to live. The limbs that are facing the ground become roots and the limbs pointed up become new trees. They even adapt their root system when required, creating lateral roots when the soil levels change. Some Redwoods are taller than the Statue of Liberty, rising over 375 feet, and some are wider than a greyhound bus! How amazing is that!!! They truly are a wonder of nature, and are my “visual” of the word rooted. Another interesting fact, they are the Largest living thing on earth. Now if that isn’t impressive…I don’t know what is.
If you would like to read a little more on the Mighty Redwood, here are a couple links I found to have these interesting facts!
http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1996/apr/rwecology.html
http://www.treesofmystery.net/sequoia.htm
http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1996/apr/rwecology.html
http://www.treesofmystery.net/sequoia.htm
This is my Mom standing next to one of the giants, as well...They're just massive!
2 comments:
I love redwoods! I've been in awe of them ever since I saw the photo of mom and dad honeymoon pic of their car in the drive-though tree. (So, naturally we have one too!)
I also think it's neat that you have your parents or *your* roots beside the big trees.
Susan: Yeah, YEAH...I meant for it to happen that way..really I did! LOL...ok, ok...it was just one of those happy coincidences, but thanks for pointing it out! See...it all works! ;-P
Post a Comment